Saturday, August 24, 2013

Introduction: Who Am I, Where Am I?


Hi, I'm Katie. This is my first foray into the blogging world, so please bear with me! I'm a first-year PhD student in Composition and Rhetoric at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where I'm also teaching two sections of English 150 -- Writing: Rhetoric as Inquiry (aka freshman composition). School starts Monday, so I've been lesson planning and tweaking my syllabus like a madwoman! I'm eager to immerse myself in new courses at a new university this semester.


I still feel like I've stepped into another world once I cross those "N" pillars on my walk to campus. I just moved to Lincoln a few weeks ago from Lee's Summit, Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City. Last December I earned my MA in English from the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where I taught freshman and sophomore composition to a diverse student population. More recently, I taught developmental writing and sophomore composition at a community college in north Kansas City, where many students commuted from small towns or farming communities. Here's a picture of my part of campus, which was green and lovely most of the year:
















Now I'm living in downtown Lincoln, and it's been a thrilling and disorienting experience so far. I love the location of my apartment, which is within walking distance from campus, the Capitol building, the Haymarket district (including the farmer's market!), and a wide variety of shops, restaurants, and businesses. I walked around lost for quite a while this week looking for a tailor I had located on the internet; I didn't realize I had to take an elevator to the seventh floor of a Wells Fargo Bank building to find her! I love the bustle and energy of the downtown area, and the people in Nebraska have been kind and patient as I learn to navigate a new place. For instance, I was amazed by the service and efficiency at the DMV here--not usually the case. There are a few downsides to my new living situation, such as the nonexistent parking and the difficulty getting mail, but I'm overall enjoying what I think of as "city life." I live in one of six converted apartments on top of a vacant office building, at the end of a row containing a defunct printing shop, several bars, and a "gentleman's club":



It's pretty nondescript on the outside, but my landlord has done a wonderful job making the apartments feel homey and comfortable. This is my first time living in a place I furnished myself, so I'm enjoying the task of decorating on a grad student budget.


From my perspective, one of the most fascinating aspects of Lincoln is the Husker hysteria! I went to a small liberal arts college for undergrad and earned my MA from a commuter campus without a great sports record, so I've never experienced such overwhelming university pride before.





Even my grocery store is on board--I have to admit, it's pretty infectious. And while I wish people were as excited about our academics as our football team, I still enjoy being part of an institution with such a long tradition of excellence in many fields. My boyfriend is a Mizzou alum who still hasn't reconciled himself to the fact that he's now dating a Husker, but I think he'll come around eventually. He did enjoy the great food and abundance of craft beer when he visited.



I took the above picture at one of my favorite places in Lincoln so far: the Sunken Gardens. This gorgeous community garden is full of all kinds of plants and flowers, two large koi ponds, a fountain, a waterfall, and an abundance of quiet, peaceful outdoor spots. I visited on a gorgeous day last weekend and spent a few hours reading in the sunshine.



Last but not least, it wouldn't be an introduction to me without an introduction to Penny. This two-year-old golden retriever is spunky, rambunctious, sometimes disobedient, and always loyal. I like to think of her as a work in progress! She's living in Missouri with my parents for now, but they send me lots of Penny pictures and videos. As for me, when I'm not reading, writing, or grading, I enjoy coffee, fitness, and moonlighting on a feminist "snark site" that deconstructs popular women's blogs. I look forward to working with all of you this semester!

I'll close with my rendition of a "Where I'm From" poem, inspired by the awesome ones I've read so far:

I am from Charlotte, North Carolina
the blurry birthplace left behind
at nine months, never to return.

I am from 18 years deep in the heart of Texas,
the stars at night are big and bright,
sun tea and Spanglish and Remember the Alamo!

I am from Gary and Lisa, kindness and neuroses,
learning to ride a bike and cast a fishing line,
and the cross-stitched picture on the wall:
"Richer than me, you can never be--
I had a mother who read to me."

I am from Lee's Summit, Missouri, a town with
an apostrophe and a restless police force--
a sleepy, in-between place waiting for a spark.

I am from Kansas City, Kansas City here I come,
bright lights and barbecue, Chiefs and Royals,
where wealth and crippling want are juxtaposed.

I am from the pages of The Great Gatsby,
Hamlet, the creeping fear of The Bell Jar,
the disappointing ending of Gone With the Wind,
the back of the wardrobe en route to Narnia.

My license says I am a Nebraskan now,
though I don't yet belong here--
A new place, a fresh place, unspoiled by the
passage of time or sadness or change.
Here I will write the next chapter of my history;
Here I hold my pen over a fresh page.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie,

    I enjoyed your blog post. I especially liked your "I am from" poem and even clapped at the appropriate part in the Texas portion, which I've been told is customary to do.

    Your dog is adorable. I liked that you took pictures of things around you today. I also think it's interesting to see the perspective of someone who is not used to the football "hysteria." I come from quite the opposite world as you will shortly learn.

    Looking forward to reading more of your work in the future!

    Ashanka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    I very much enjoyed reading your blog post. You point to so many of surprises and beauties of Nebraska that I have also found. Like you, the adjustment to the rabid football culture here is perhaps the most overwhelming for me. I accidentally went downtown on a Saturday game day when I first moved here and it was both terrifying and fascinating. It also convinced me to immediately buy a couple red shirts. :-)

    As someone also from a liberal arts background, I am still adjusting to the Huskers mania, to the blaring game coverage that plays over the loud speakers in grocery stores, but it is definitely a fascinating part of the culture...part of the bonds between people. I have learned to at least read about the games because my students seem to appreciate when I can at least talk about the game in some way. It is so important to them.

    Love the dog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    I really enjoyed reading about your experiences in Lincoln and being a newcomer to the Husker Hysteria. I have to admit it even made me notice a few things I've looked over previously (your photo at Hy-Vee had me laughing so hard!). My dad has a hard time with the fact that I'm a Husker now, too. I'm determined to bring him to the Nebraska Bookstore where the whole floor is devoted to Husker 'stuff'. If you haven't seen it, you need to!
    I also wanted to comment on your I Am From Poem and say I think one of the lines that really caught my eye was toward the end when you mentioned your license--what an interesting thing to use as an observation of where you're from (or not, or where 'something' says you're from)!
    -Charity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie,
    Not sure where my original reply went, so here is my best attempt to recreate. :)
    I LOVE how you reference novels/books in your poem. I too have issues with Gone with the Wind, but still love it. I reread it every now and again, but sometimes I skip the ending. And, my husband knows to just ignore me when I argue with Scarlet or Rhett!
    Hope you're faring well on this first Game Day in Nebraska!
    Looking forward to working with you this semester-
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie,
    I hope your first week of teaching amidst the Husker hysteria was survivable. :) It was so interesting for me to read your understanding of place, as you are working through establishing yourself here while having also been from a handful of others.

    Also, I have to say, as basically a lifetime Lincolnite myself, I have *never* noticed the "Hyvee for Huskers" sign... Maybe that says something about the immunity I now have to the hysteria? I'm not so sure, but now you have me worried!

    Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing/reading more from you as the course continues.
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete